Friday, January 14, 2011

The Little Things (Turin)

I wanted to take a moment in my trip memories at large to recall some details. Whenever I think of Turin I will remember the views, maybe the big things we did, and I will fondly think of the food - wow! But before all of that I think I shall remember the following...
 Without television, and away from free internet, Ross and I had lots of serious and silly conversations, almost as if we were trying to fit into two weeks the conversations we'd neglected for four months.
We played mad libs and cards and did crosswords while traveling.
In Turin I must have stopped and drooled over every single chocolate, pastry, and gelatto shop's window display. No matter where we were headed or if we'd already eaten, Ross would allow me to stop and stare at each store. Besides the sweets the christmas lights caught my attention. While I ran out into the middle of the street trying to get pictures of the lights above the road, he would stand on the side waiting patiently and warning me, when necessary, about oncoming traffic.
I lost my glove on the way to the train our very first day going to Turin. I am one of those individuals whose hands and feet are constantly frozen, so I absolutely die without gloves in the cold weather. Since I was stubbornly waiting for shopping in Milan (yes, even for gloves) I made Ross keep my hands warm (or one hand rather). Every single moment that our hands weren't engaged holding something else Ross dutifully kept my hand in his and warm in his coat pocket.
When I think about Turin I'll think of pizza and pasta, breakfast cappuccinos and delicious desserts. I'll think of dogs literally everywhere (Europeans bring their dogs everywhere and it seems like everyone owns one too).
I'll remember being ridiculous with Ross...both of us making annoying, nonsensical sounds back and forth and using the 3 yr old whiny voice just because it's funny. Silly faces and arm wrestling (of course I lost) too.
As a couple we must have been glowing with happiness or being obnoxious, or maybe both, because on the train to Milan there was an elderly lady who could not stop watching us. We left Turin quite content with our time there.
 In one word, when I think about Turin I'll think of bliss. It was a fantastic few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment