Friday, January 14, 2011

Dream Vacation day 6 - Milan (pt 2)

The other levels we'd passed on the way up to lunch were all clothes (and one level of home linens). Ross wanted to see the Armani suits...I wanted to check out the Burberry apparel. When we left the store it was turning dark. We must have spent over 2 hours inside! I still desperately wanted gloves and a sweater dress or two. A block away we found H&M. I'm not crazy, I know that guys abhor shopping, so I tried to be really fast. Two sweater dresses and then into the dressing room. To the register (no need to change sizes). Done. I was proud of myself for being so efficient. There were a couple items I hadn't found and the sales clerk had informed me that another H&M with the rest of the apparel was just another block away. Ross was really kind and allowed himself to be dragged to the other location. Same drill. A girl on a mission, I grabbed what I was looking for, slipped into the dressing room to make sure the items fit and made the purchase. Immediately upon exiting I put on my new purple gloves. Outside it seemed like people were already preparing for the New Year. Firecracker sounds made me jump a few times as we headed toward the metro.
We arrived at the Castle Sforesco at the perfect moment. The entire front facade of the castle, including the clock tower, lit up in a light show accompanied by music. Ross and I watched the ten minute show. We both loved it! He said it would be really cool to see what they'd do for the New Year and I thought so too, it seemed like we had our spot for ringing in 2011. Although we were both ready for a break before dinner we went a bit closer to the castle. Men selling singular roses and bracelets were hounding everyone nearby. At first we were kind with our refusals. However, one the light show started up again on the hour I was quite hostile toward their annoying pleas to buy something. Ross found my 'mom' face and my hostility toward mere flower sellers quite amusing. Thrilled to have seen two mini light shows and the castle at night (strung in white lights with blue twinkling ones on the top of the clock tower) but also tired from the full day, we headed back to the hotel.
I heard a phrase from Ross' mouth that I hadn't heard in a very long time. "Let's nap". I was overjoyed because I exist off naps like a child, but Ross hates them. He literally gets into an irritable angry mood if he takes a nap. It's odd to me since I love naps so much...Anyway we napped for exactly an hour to my great happiness. When it was time to wake up I popped out of bed to redo my makeup for our New Year's Eve dinner. I waited for Ross to moan, groan, and complain about feeling 'more' tired but he didn't. I guess we both needed that precious hour of sleep after all.
The restaurant at which Ross had secured reservations, Ristorante Acqua Di Mare, was right around the corner from our hotel. If all worked out perfectly we'd have a nice dinner then grab the metro to the castle for fireworks and fun. The restaurant was alive with energy when we stepped in. It was also packed with people. We hung up our coats and were ushered to our seats by the manager. We couldn't understand a word of the 'set' menu given to us by a brunette waitress who brought us our water. When we tried asking questions she handed us to the manager who brought two regular menus. Ross pulled out the trusty dictionary and we got to the task of figuring out what we wanted to eat. Next to our little table a large family, all spoiling the smallest member - a 2 or 3 yr old girl, went through plate after plate of mouthwatering food. Soon we'd chosen our dishes, except that when we tried to order them from the manager he pushed the set menu on us again. Quite hungry by now and exasperated by the obvious miscommunication that was going on I started to get a bit moody. I couldn't handle, with civility, the busy manager again. I told Ross if he came back Ross could do all the talking. The third time is the charm right? This third attempt we were able to order some food. I opted for pointing at the next table over at some one's pasta. Ross chose steak and potatoes. The food was wonderful. I think my boyfriend was happier having steak at this restaurant out of all the places we'd been. He said they cooked it through a bit more than his steak in Toulouse. I didn't think I would, but somehow I scarfed down my pasta and then sat staring at Ross' disappearing plate. He was full. I was not. When the waitress returned I ordered what I thought was a side dish of potatoes like Ross'. Instead, I had ordered hand made potato chips. The time flew as we enjoyed the meal. Even though he was 'full' Ross found the space to help me finish my potato chips. Before we knew it the waitresses were handing out bottles of champagne to every table. Oh no! It was almost midnight! I suddenly felt like Cinderella. I wanted Ross and I to be at the castle when the clock struck twelve. Hurrying Ross out of his seat and rushing the waitress for the check, I didn't even notice that the Italian family we'd sat by for the last couple of hours wished us a Happy New Year in Italian and English. Ross wished them one as well. Then we were off, running like mad to make the metro. I looked at my cell every thirty seconds. Waiting for the train the minutes turned to double zero. I stopped Ross from fidgeting by declaring a "Happy New Year" and throwing my arms around him. The metro ride to the Castle was really short and we were off again, bounding through the streets and the crowd to get a good view of the light show and the fireworks going off at the Castle.

No comments:

Post a Comment