Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dream Vacation day 7 - Milan (Final Dinner)

I'm dedicating an entire blog post to the most delicious meal I have ever put into my mouth. I've eaten at the 560 Wolfgang Puck in Dallas, I've eaten at several pricy places in both France and Italy....but the final meal in Milan was perfection. Due to it being New Year's day, the Maio was giving it's customers several free items that Ross and I had no idea about, but which we certainly enjoyed.
First we were offered free champagne to begin our experience. Our waiter tried to help us through the menu, but left me impossibly confused. I saw Milanese risotto and immediately wanted the cheesy goodness, but I was nervous that perhaps it would be different at this restaurant. I don't even remember what I originally ordered, but the order was quickly changed when the waitress uncorking my wine explained that Milanese risotto was exactly what Ross had had at the Santa Marta. Relieved to have changed my order, happy with the free champagne and wine, I sat talking with my boyfriend and soaking up the atmosphere.
Without ordering them, appetizers appeared before us. It looked like a think chunk of salami, breaded on the outer ring on a bed of small grey beans. I was worried. Next to our table, less than a foot away, sat two Italians enjoying their food. They had already figured out we were tourists from our phrase book decoding of the menu. Now they explained that the appetizer was a 'good luck' dish for the New Year, a freebie. They encouraged us to try the dish, exclaiming how wonderful it would be. They were right. The meat was a little spicy and delicious with the breading. The beans, lentils, were the perfect pairing for it. Needless to say, we cleaned our plates quickly.
When our food arrived  I was carried away to food heaven. A plate, bigger than my head, completely filled with bright yellow-orange Milanese risotto and tiny little specks of red (beef marrow) sat before me. It was simple, elegant, and out of this world! Ross watched me in amusement as I took bite after bite, closing my eyes at times and grinning with bliss. Since coming to France I've missed macaroni and cheese more than I can explain. This thick, cheesy risotto was macaroni and cheese taste on steroids!!! It was SO SO GOOD!Ross was quite happy with his own dish, parmesan-encrusted beef fillet. Both of us commented on how "fantastic" our food was. We took a bit longer than usual to eat, taking our time and getting caught up in conversation, but soon I'd finished both my wine and my risotto and wanted dessert. We settled on 'fruit pie' just for the fun of not really knowing what in the world a 'fruit pie' would be. The pie arrived, but it wasn't pie at all! A little pound cake sat on a bed of fresh fruit slices. The petite round cake was topped with whipped cream, then a few more slices of fruit. Sticking up about four inches, a beautiful piece of white chocolate with milk chocolate painted circles was spiked into the whipped creme. Next to that a little sugar sculpture also rose out of the top. It was like a piece of food art! And of course it was light, fresh, tart but sweet...in one word, it was wonderful.
After the dessert the restaurant then placed before us another plate (another freebie). Two tiny raspberry tarts, one milk chocolate, one gingerbread cookie, and one vanilla macaroon. The five were consumed immediately. Stuffed, and on a glorious food high, we paid the check and put on our coats. Then the waitress brought over two jars and wished us a Happy New Year. RISOTTO! The jars were filled with the dry mix and the instructions for making it! We'd been searching for something foreign to get Ross' mom and the restaurant had just given us the perfect gift! As we sat in front of the Duomo, me taking picture after picture, I was sad to be saying goodbye to Milan but happy to have experienced so many wonderful things.

No comments:

Post a Comment