Friday, January 14, 2011

Dream Vacation day 6 - Milan (New Year's Celebration)

We were both out of breath from running but we were both content. Around us people set off sparklers, roman candles, and firecrackers. Colors flashed from both the fireworks and the light show as I tried my best to capture a self-taken photo with people jostling the camera. I've decided to keep the fuzzy attempts since they remind me of how much fun it was trying. The moment was spectacular. Fireworks lighting up just barely over the top of the clock tower. The castle's lights going wild. Being pressed into a huge crowd of people, most of the faces upturned to the brilliance, and feeling the excitement and joy shared by everyone. People sang, shouted what I suppose was "Happy New Year" back and forth. I was awkwardly trying to capture pictures of the fireworks while at the same time repeatedly turning toward Ross just to look at him. We were in Milan. We were on a vacation. We were celebrating the New Year together. We'd just had a nice dinner. We still had days and days together to hang out. I was happier than I've ever been. I couldn't say all of it at once, but I was thinking it all at once every time I turned around and buried myself into his hug. I think maybe he thought I was a bit silly. As the fireworks died down Ross and I moved forward in the crowd to get a better view of the castle. I asked a random girl to please take a photo of us. She did a brilliant job so that now I have the perfect photo to remember the beginning of 2011. She captured Ross and I squeezing each other in a tight hug with huge smiles on our faces. The fireworks ended and the crowd quickly began to break up. Ross and I had had an unforgettable night so back to the hotel for some sleep was our plan. It had been an amazing day and night, a very full day and night, in Milan!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment