Sunday, April 3, 2011

LONDON prt 3

There was a never ending list of things you could enter in London...I woke up each morning before 8 and didn't go to bed till midnight and still didn't do a fourth of the top 'sights'.

I had never heard of the Royal Albert hall. I guess I should have since EVERYONE who is ANYONE has played there. The hour long tour I caught on a whim was so informative and fun, and I am really glad I went. At one point in the tour we were allowed into the Queen's private entrance and chamber. I felt very VIP.

Likewise, I knew next to nothing about Winston Churchill's genius during WWII and absolutely nothing about his underground war rooms. The rooms, preserved since WWII, are impressive, and you can walk through them with your audio guide hearing the information and history. After the tour of the underground war rooms I now wonder if the allies would have won the war without them. Yes, these underground rooms with secret plans and secure phone lines were THAT important.


The Belfast can join the category of "British things/sights that Tamra never knew existed but then visited and appreciated". It is a warship moored on the Thames which I briefly ran around on. Huge, sturdy, and loaded with the biggest guns I have ever seen, the Belfast was cool to see. It wasn't riveting exactly, I'm not well versed on war ships or ships in general, but my hour spent on board was an enjoyable one.

I only told a few people I was visiting London, mostly people I knew had gone before and who could give me advice. Among those few, all of them said, "Visit Harrod's." So, I visited Harrod's.... What can on say about Harrod's ? Well, I suppose if you are shopping then Harrod's is Heaven. If you are looking for high tea then Harrod's is also your place. However, if you are me, at the end of a tiring day, with a very VERY limited budget and a growling stomach, and no interest in designer duds then Harrod's is equally frustrating and fascinating. First of all, the store is like a maze...really it's HUGE and the only little maps that I saw are next to the central escalator (which if you take all the way down lands at the Diana/Dody Memorial). Secondly, the cafes seem hidden behind all the glamorous clothes, jewelry, antiques, etc. And don't dare walk through the perfume and makeup level...you'll get sprayed about ten times with who knows what expensive scent. AND YET, the store is really cool. If you WANT to be drowned in perfume you can do it for free. If you are dying to try the best scones in London while glimpsing famous CEO's and minor stars you only have to install yourself in one of the cafes like I did. If you want to buy anything with a name that will make others envious, from bedding to dishes to luggage to clothes, it's all there. Oh my goodness and the two food rooms I found with mountains of truffles and chocolates and candies and pastries!!! If had had ANY money left after tea I would have been hard pressed to choose between all the lovely treats I saw.

Hamley's Toy Store was incredible! I didn't have to be a kid to enjoy the candy shop inside, the staff showing off new toys, the human sized Buzz Lightyear made of legos, the bubbles floating through the air, the Willy Wonka-esque interior. I somehow ended up leaving the store with a bag of jelly beans, a three foot plastic tube of flavored sour powder, and a huge heart tattoo on my hand made entirely of pink & purple glitter! I even scored a photo with a faux Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz and stuffed Toto.

Standing in the Globe theater, although it wasn't the original Globe, was surreal. I adore Shakespeare, and to be standing in a perfect replica of the space in which his plays were first performed was crazy! The wooden benches, the painted stage, the open air and thatched roof...they all reminded me that theater in Shakespeare's day wasn't about tricking the crowd with special effects and overdone costumes, but it was about great language, crown interaction, and true performance. The exhibition and tour were fantastic, and at the end of my time at the Globe, I desperately wanted to buy everything in the souvenir shop. For my English major self, the Globe was one of my favorite London attractions.


No comments:

Post a Comment