Saturday, September 11, 2010

These Shoes Weren't Made for Walking

If you've read my blog on fashion then I might have you believing that there's no need for those comfortable, molded-to-your-feet-after-years-of-exercise sneakers or your stained, dirty, been-on-three-continents-and hiked-hundreds-of-trails Chacos. There is most definitely a need for such footwear - TRAVEL DAYS!

Trust me. Oh please trust me when I say that travel days are the absolute worst. Even though, and I pray it does, your luggage rolls, your most important item for travel, besides your identification and tickets, is your shoes.
"But I adore my flats!" you say? Well, adore those flats after twenty hours of trekking on and off airplanes and walking miles and miles through concrete airports.
"How about my most comfortable heels?" you think.  Yes, go right ahead, doom yourself to a twisted ankle when you are navigating escalators with unbalanced luggage that wants to tip over every five seconds. Love those heels when you are running up and down stairs to make it for your next flight.
"Surely my boots can withstand the travel?" you ponder. Probably, yes they can, but somehow after so many hours of standing up and sitting down, walking here and running there, that extra bit of weight starts to wear on the leg muscles and your nerves. Your ankles and calves will begin to cry mutiny from the constriction of those great boots.

On travel days the feet need support, comfort, and practicality. They are doing a great service holding up your body through airports, metros, buses, stairs, etc.  There will be no bellhop at the airport to help. "But Tam" you say "I'll only have a tiny little rolling bag and my purse with me. I think I can manage even that in whatever footwear." To that skepticism I reply,"It's not what you have with you necessarily but how you'll have to manage it on various types of transportation while juggling ID's, tickets, meals to go, cell phone, pet, child, pillow, etc. The last thing you want to worry about during hours and hours of travel is aching feet, a broken heel, or a broken zipper on your boots.
 So, pack away the oh so chic footwear and pull out the less fashionable, slide on and go, most supporting walking shoes you own. Your feet will thank you in the end!
-Tam in Toulouse

1 comment:

  1. AMEN!!!! It's just so hard to see all these famous people travel -and mainly, fly- with heels!!! Of course, they have stunts for the flight, duh! They can't look that fresh after 4+ hours of flight, plus, like you said, the time spent running around in airports with way too many items to worry about (i.e. passport, laptop, bags, pillow, etc).

    So yeah...Thanks so much, Tamra, for speaking the truth!! And mentioning how ankles and calves start swelling after so many hours sitting in an airplane...I was starting to believe that I was alone on that!! :)

    ReplyDelete