Wednesday, September 15, 2010

3 Hour Course Registration - Hr 1

This beautiful, sunny morning in Toulouse I discovered the paradoxically convoluted, yet simple, process of course registration at my university here, Le Mirail. Last Wed. I paid my 'inscription' (registration) fee. The very nice man handed me a tiny piece of paper to keep up with (proof that I'd paid), told me that the computers were down indefinitely so I would not be getting my student ID card just yet, and suggested I come back in a week. He mentioned nothing about registering for my classes. Thus, I assumed (wrongly as you'll find out) that once I returned in a week's time I would be sitting down in the same office to select courses.

I returned today and asked the International Student reception desk for my 'carte d'identite'. "Check back next week." "Okay. Will do. I'd like to register for courses." "Yes and....that's not our area. You must register directly with your department." Interesting.... no one had mentioned that part. "Do I need a rendez-vous?" , I asked. They replied, "How would we know? It's up to the department."
Slightly frustrated, but still excited about choosing my classes, I found my department and started looking for signs reading "Welcome" or "Registration". Every one else seemed to know exactly where they were going as they rushed past. There were several welcome offices and several registration rooms.... I was overwhelmed. Stopping at the international scholarship office I asked for some directions, explaining that I was License 3 - an odd year that the French have between the American equivalent of a Bachelor's and before a Master's - and that I wanted to choose courses. The kind lady took me around the corner to a huge cork board with various papers attached, none of which made sense. "Merci. Au Revoir." Dead End.

'Let's try another office', I thought. This time I dropped into the License 3 office. Surely they could help me. "Hi. I'm sorry but I'm a little lost. I've registered for License 3 and paid, but I'm not sure how to register for my courses." "Blah Blah Blah (very quick incomprehensible French)" "Can you please speak less quickly. I'm sorry. I am American. I have already paid my tuition but I have no idea how to register for my courses." "Blah...Blah... *to her colleague* She doesn't speak very good French. I don't know what she wants.... Blah Blah." This lady shows me to a door around the corner. The door is locked, the blinds are half closed, and the young secretary inside looks very busy with her computer. We both realize this office isn't going to help either. Around another corner, by now I feel like I'm in a maze, she hands me off to another lady with "She doesn't speak 'tres bien' French."    'GEEZ PEOPLE I'M TRYING OKAY!' screams the frustrated voice in my head. My mouth remains closed as I smile and try to look confident.
This young lady looks like she just graduated, which I hope is the case. Ushering me into a chair she grabs a thick green folder from behind her, an official-looking piece of paper, and a pen. She sits down across from me and begins to rapidly explain the process. "Well at least I'm in the right office finally."    "Why is she going so fast?"        "Is that green thing supposed to be course descriptions?"      "What is that document she has?" "Is this the right registration for me or should I switch to French for International Students Instead?" "I can't even understand her, I'm going to fail my courses this year!"     She's talking on and on while I'm drowning in a sea of confusion and discouragement.
Finally I put my hand on top of the paper that she's pointing to with her pen..."Excusez moi." "Please speak slower. I cannot understand you. I do not understand how this process works. It looks like there are only a few professors to choose from. It also looks like I must take the courses you underlined. How many courses do I take? Am I signing up for both semesters now? Are there any professors who are known for being nice to foreigners? This is very different and hard for me. I'm sorry but I just don't understand anything."

-Tam in Toulouse

-continue reading for hour 2 of this registration fiasco
-please note that everything I've written in English was said in French but since I am writing for friends and family who do not speak the language I am  accommodating.

No comments:

Post a Comment