Wednesday, September 15, 2010

3 Hour Course Registration - Hr 2

For the remainder of my story I'll be referring to this very sweet young lady as Post-Grad Angel since that's what she turned out to be, and also because I never got her name.
Angel looked at my sympathetically and recommenced from the beginning, answering all my questions first. She explained that my courses were already picked for me, but that I was allowed to choose which professors I wanted. Although the department chose the course, for example Medieval French Literature, the professors could choose within the course what subject matter or authors specifically that they'd like to teach. Dropping to FLE (French for Internationals - French As a Foreign Language) would probably be easier but the classes wouldn't be as dynamic. I would be learning grammar instead of studying Baudelaire. Oh and let's not forget that if I wanted to change my 'formation' (major) then I'd have to re-register as a student studying FLE. "So, Lettres Modernes at level License 3 it is then." I'd have to pick my courses for both the fall and spring semester now and pray I didn't fail the exams, because there would be no option to change my 'formation' (major).
Understanding that I would need time to read over the general course descriptions and then each professor's course description, Angel led me outside the office to the cork board that I'd been to before. She clearly indicated that the board showed the times and room assignments for each professor's class under each course. "After you pick your professors, come to this wall and make sure that the times do not conflict. After you have done that, return to me in the office and we'll sign the official documents registering you for those courses."
"Awesome. We're making progress. Time to choose courses" Needing some fresh air and sunlight to brighten my mood and calm my nerves, I stepped out into a small courtyard and lowered myself onto a bench. The selection process went like so:
Course 16 - Comparative Literature. My choices, by professor, are "Memory and Conscience in Fiction", "Mythical literary figures: Salome from the Bible",or  "The Wagnerian hero". Since the first sounded kinda out there and I didn't really know Wagner enough to want to learn about his interpretation of a hero, I chose Salome.
Course 17 (Two Part Course) - Linguistics and Latin. "Ugh, did I read that right?" Two choices for Linguistics.... fabulous variety huh? Choice A puts me studying works that are mediators between Latin and French. Choice B lands me studying the morphology of Latin into French. "Awful... and awful. Great."
The lesser of two evils seemed to be Choice A. For Latin we have.... 3rd year of study, 5th year of study, or those with profound knowledge.... "better choose the 3rd year of study and hope for the best since I've never studied Latin before. "
Course 18- French Literature 19th and 20th Century - no course descriptions given, so close your eyes and pin the tail on your new teacher.
Course 19 - Master's level Spanish, German, or English. "Give me the English please! Let me have one good grade this semester."

On to 2nd Semester courses.....
Course 20 -  French Lit. 16th to 18th Century (Renaissance Lit)- Lovely choices.... "Aesthetics of Violence", "Autobiographical Works", "Love Poetry and Fictional History", "Fiction about the Body", "Writings on Liberty", and "Polyphonic Fictions".  Definitely not a course on violence, autobiography, the body, or whatever polyphonic fiction is. That leaves liberty or love. Naturally, being in France, I must take a course on love.
Course 21 - Syntax and Style - just like French Lit 19th and 20th Century, this course has no deviations. Choose the time slot that works and go with the flow.
Course 22 - Options of the Discipline! - And my options are.....*sad face* - "Latin Translations", "Francophone Literature 2", "French Lit (two part course)", "Inter-Arts Comparisons with Emphasis on Wagner", or "French and Roman Language Linguistics".  Well....."Don't know Latin. No thank you African Literature about political strife. Why does French Lit have to be two parts?! What's up with the Wagner obsession? Clearly I'm not a linguist." Guess we'll go with French Lit, at least it offers some interesting descriptions - 'theatre to make you laugh' and 'poetry and mythology'.

-Tam in Toulouse

No comments:

Post a Comment