Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Perhaps I Speak French

There are special, rare moments when you are learning a language that bring a smile to your face and relief to your heart. Such moments might be small. Perhaps it is one complete sentence in French with perfect conjugation and a smooth flow of speech. Perhaps this special moment occurs when a lost, English-speaking tourist asks you for directions and doesn't catch on that you aren't french because you seem so knowledgeable. 
During my time in Toulouse such special moments have eluded my reach. Stumbling my way through conversations and asking every Toulousienne 'where such and such is' or 'what time such and such happens', I have felt inadequate speaking French here.
But today....
Today I had my moment! That confidence boosting, walking on air afterwards, this language isn't so awful moment!
At BNP, after thirty minutes of waiting for my appointment to open a bank account (with no end in sight to the waiting), in walked two young women. Together they walked up to the welcome desk and asked in English if they could open a bank account, a question to which the guy behind the desk muttered some incomprehensible french something without even looking up from his papers. The next attempt by the two ladies: "Do you speak English?" And the very french reply: "Pas de tout." (Pah duh too = not a bit).
What possessed me to dare translate for them? I have no idea. Yet, almost subconsciously, I found myself saying aloud, "He doesn't speak English. He wants to know if you have an appointment."
The ladies asked if I could translate. And I could, couldn't I?
So back and forth we went. The two young women, who were semester abroad students from India at the nearby business school, asked me when an appointment was possible, what documents they might need, if they could have an appointment together with an English speaking representative, etc. And the french guy behind the desk? With the typical 'rolling of the eyes because the people before him weren't speaking French and the translator clearly lacks correct banking phrases and terms' attitude, he explained the procedure via me, made an appointment for them for a week later, and neglected a 'Merci' in my direction when the transaction was complete. The ladies thanked me and left, successfully securing the all important 'rendez-vous'.
I lowered myself back into my waiting chair with a singular phrase running continuously through my head. 'Perhaps I speak French'.

1 comment:

  1. :)

    Reading this made me so ridiculously happy! It is so good to hear that everything seems to be coming together for you. Continue to be well and know that I love you lots and forever!

    ReplyDelete