Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thoughts on the past, the present, the future

I feel like I didn't really wrap up my Eurotrip details. I wanted to talk about sinks with  peddles on which you have to step for the water to work. I wanted to talk about how Europe has a serious issue with bathrooms  {you have to pay to use the ones on the street and stores and restaurants won't let you use them unless you buy something - OH and gas stations don't seem to exist either}. So when one is out of the hostel all day running around being a tourist and suddenly needs to use facilities....well like I said, Europe needs to straighten out their snobby bathroom ways. I wanted to talk about my obsession with fake aviators and Martha's obsession with Irish rings and sporty sunglasses. We must have stopped at every tacky souvenir shop and stand to see if we could find those three things. I wanted to make the trip sound as amazing as it was. Yet now, as I contemplate really detailing all of this, I find myself exhausted by it all. We did it. We took pictures. I blogged about it already - some of the memories will just have to stay as memories in my head and not here. It almost takes the magic out of it to continue relating every little thing....Anyway, like I think I've mentioned a few times, the trip was unforgettable and a wonderful experience.

As it stands now, I just got back to Toulouse just days ago from a trip to London! I had a 5 day weekend and knew sitting here in Toulouse would just intensify the loneliness that I've managed to mostly banish this semester. I'll definitely blog about going to London, but before I start on that series I just wanted to take a moment to talk about the present here in Toulouse. The sun is shining (when it's not pouring outside) and the temperature is a cool 50 to 60 each day. The girls are still donning boots, but they are beginning to pair them with skirts and tights instead of leggings. Shorts over tights are a big trend too. The layers of scarves and jackets worn just two months ago has been downsized to pashminas and cardigans. I think it is spring and I couldn't be happier about it !!! Bring on the warmth !

And the future...the title of this post says I'm supposed to talk about the future...I cannot believe I have one or two more class meetings left in my courses. It's ridiculousness!  Exams in some courses are in two weeks while others don't happen until mid May. It makes no sense to me really. But what that means is that I begin to have way too much free time again. Although, I bought running/walking (probably more of the latter) so perhaps I can achieve a daily routine of fitness....perhaps. What I know about the future is that these next three weeks are important. I need to soak up all the remaining information that I can and get through some exams. Now if only the movie theatre weren't calling my name and naps in the sunshine didn't sound so appealing.... :-)

~ Tam in Toulouse

No comments:

Post a Comment