Monday, March 14, 2011

Eurotrip 2011

My former roommate from Sewanee, and friend for always, Martha came to visit for my spring break this past week! She arrived on Thursday, March 3rd. The next day we began our adventure, then we returned to Toulouse yesterday (Sunday, March 13th). The following few posts will be about our eurotrip. I would blog in detail except that I followed that method before when I traveled with Ross, and find it difficult to remember everything correctly already from the eurotrip, SO I will be blogging about random memories, anecdotes, and highlights. It was a fantastic trip !!! Here goes...

I wish I could have shown Martha around Toulouse a bit more. Of course it would happen that she left early this morning and this afternoon it's a sunny, breezy, 60 degree, gorgeous day here.

 She didn't complain a bit, but she must have been exhausted that first day since I literally caught her going into my apartment the moment she arrived and promptly dragged her around town all evening.
We explored place Capitol a bit and stopped in for chocolates and macarons. It was with a little knowing smirk that I watched Martha eat her macarons, they are SO yummy! We ran into some friends of mine around Capitol  by chance. After walking away, Martha praised my new frenchness. Even though I know that I'm not a true fluent speaker, it was nice to hear Martha say I sounded like it.
 I'd been a packing nazi and demanded that she only bring 4 days worth of clothing because we were only taking carry-on luggage on the planes. Thus, we made a quick trip to H&M for a pair of leggings for a shorter dress she'd brought. I was so excited to return to Entrecote and treat Martha to steak and french fries! The food is fabulous and I'd been wanting to grab another meal there, but I waited till Martha was here to share the experience. Even though we got there before the restaurant opened there was a line. Sitting in the restaurant, sipping rose wine and eating our lovely meal it was hard to believe our adventure was starting. She and I hadn't seen each other since graduation almost a year earlier. It was almost surreal to be able to reach out and hug Martha or just spout off the random things that came to mind and have her respond to my thoughts.

When you haven't seen someone in that long, but have kept in touch, it's not a mission to fill each other in, it becomes instead the reuniting of two souls that understand each other. It's a therapeutic re-discovery of old self that takes place. In being with Martha I was suddenly back to being bubbly, happy, and confident. If we got lost it wouldn't matter because we were together to figure it out. If one of us forgot something it wouldn't matter because the other person had it. If one of us was worrying, the other could lend words of comfort.

As we snuggled into bed that night, after dinner and packing for the trip, I went to sleep super excited for the next 9 days ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment