Friday, February 4, 2011

Settled at last

I adore my block. I've said it multiple times. Located on my block is a little supermarket maybe 30 feet by 30 feet that I visit almost daily for groceries and household items. About a month ago my grocer disappeared. His wife, who usually gives me advice on cooking, also disappeared. In their place was another husband/wife duo that kind of looked the same as the original couple but was definitely not the original couple. The new wife didn't tell me how to cook things. The new gentleman didn't flash me a kind smile and automatically know to repeat the total cost twice (I need two times to understand). They were nice enough, but they weren't MY supermarket pair.
Today, I walked into the supermarket and found my original supermarket duo back in their usual places as if they'd never left. When it was my turn at the counter I couldn't contain my relief. "You left me. I mean, you left for a bit." "No. No. It was just a vacation." "So, you aren't leaving again?" "No. We're back now." "You are resting here?" "Yes." With a big grin, au revoir, and bientot I left the supermarket happier than when I'd entered. It dawned on me walking to my apartment that I was so happy to have my supermarket couple back because they know I am foreign, they always speak slowly to me in French, and recognize when I seem bewildered or cannot find something in the store. In a city as big as Toulouse, and because I'm not a native speaker of French, having someone 'know' me in such a way brings unique peace of mind. To have a regular place, even if it is a grocery store, is comforting and makes Toulouse seem like 'home' instead of just a place I'm staying this year. I have 'my' block, 'my' supermarket couple, 'my' bakery...etc. I'm finally settled and happy here. I can say, "I usually do this or go here" or "this is always" because I've been here long enough to know the ropes. Finally, I am ccompletely blissful just existing in Toulouse. The added bonus being that my supermarket duo is back!

No comments:

Post a Comment