Monday, February 14, 2011

Dinner, Prayer, & an American

Friday, after my morning classes and lunch, I met up with K. at her house to hang out for a bit before N. was finished with preschool. We set another meeting for this upcoming weekend then visited the mall that I didn't know existed to check out the soldes (sales). I really like hanging out with K. Not only does she correct my French, but I learn a lot about French culture from her. She's older than I am, but she's still a young woman, and so I feel like she has become my big sister here in Toulouse.

N. was a bit wary of me again when her mom and I picked her up from preschool, but by the time her father arrived home from work we were back to being best friends. She learned "thumb" "here" "yes" "under" "on" "horse" and (while playing hide and seek with her toys) "hide" & "I found you!".  The family was gracious enough to allow me to stay for dinner which consisted of salad, bread, sausage, cabbage, cheeses, wine, and dessert. I was introduced to a cheese that tasted like a cross between Camembert and Bleu named Saint Agur. It was wonderful! During dinner, K. explained the racial histories of Gaudeloupe and Martinique. It was really interesting to hear about slavery in another country outside of America and learn more about the French islands in general. When K. dropped me off at my apartment I was full and tired from my long day, but so so happy for the time spent with such a kind family.

Last night, I attended a contemporary Catholic mass with my French friend from Le Mirail, Laeticia. Knowing that I am Protestant, she assured me that it would be very laid back and less 'Catholic' than regular mass. She was right. The mass was a mix of contemporary french worship songs, a short lesson from Matthew, 20 mins. of quite alone prayer time, and then the Lord's supper. It was great to be in church again!!! I did feel a bit sad because I couldn't take Eucharist, and a bit awkward because I didn't know all the things to repeat back to the Priest, but I really enjoyed worshipping with others and singing the songs.

After the service finished, three people appeared before me asking if I was 'Anglais' (english/British).
(I'd read the 2nd Reading in the microphone during the service and they'd picked up on my accent)
I always forget that they mean British when they say 'Anglais' because the word means English and I associate it with speaking English. Anyway, we figured out right away that I was from Mississippi and the girl speaking to me was from Pennsylvania. I embarrassingly launched myself into her arms for a big American hug. Her (french) boyfriend and their (french) friend Sam invited me to a Taize worship service on Thursday. We all entered a side chapel of the church where snacks and cider awaited us, all the while talking in a mix of French and English about why she and I were in Toulouse. Again like everyone else, she commented on how strange it was for me to be in Toulouse outside of an exchange program. She, herself, is here as an English assistant in a middle-school. After a long time talking, and becoming friends I hope, Sam graciously drove me home.

It was really nice to find another American here in Toulouse. I'm really glad she, her boyfriend, and their friend Sam introduced themselves, and I'm excited to attend taize on Thursday!  It's ridiculous how everything has fallen into place this semester. French friends from Le Mirail to hang out with and sit by in class, more plans with my french family, new places to worship, and now, hopefully, an American friend. It slightly irks me that all these wonderful things happen now, when I only have 3 1/2 months left here, but perhaps that's the great thing too. There's that idea that one should leave the party during the peak, thus leaving on a high note. Cheers to finding the high note here in Toulouse!

~Tam in Toulouse

No comments:

Post a Comment