Saturday, February 26, 2011

Tea/Story Time

My promise was to get out and do things, and I have, even though I've neglected blogging about it so much. To sum up last weekend I spent a morning with K., her husband (who was doing carpentry in some other part of the house) and darling little N. To my surprise, within five minutes of me being in the door, N. tugged my hand till I had positioned myself on the sofa, then she crawled up onto my lap and demanded I read to her.
 I'm certainly not hearing any biological clock, but I do hope to be a mother someday, and there's just something about a little child curling up in my arms that makes my heart glow.
There we were, N. and I, both eating miniature  chocolate cookies, me sipping my hot tea in-between books while privileging N. to spoonfuls every now and then, she reading in French while I summarized in English... and I couldn't stop thinking how cool she was, how wonderfully trusting and carefree kids are in general at the age of 3.
 They don't care if you have a zit on your face or there is a hole in your tights. They don't care that you just took a bite of the cookie you are now offering to them. Of course they will throw tantrums because you held their special barbie or skipped a page in the story, but overall, for the stuff that the rest of the world insists on, kids couldn't care less.
After story time, N., K., and I all played make believe for awhile...when the plot involved one of the tiny hand held people reading to another N insisted on a second story time for herself. After the last story, the Three Little Pigs, K and I rushed out of the house to go see Of Gods and Men (in French).
I was surprised that I kept up entirely during the movie, but then again, it's easier for me to understand french when the lips match the sounds...dubbed over American films completely lose me.  Then, it was home for me and some schoolwork following my full morning with the french family.

This weekend...well I guess it might seem that I'm neglecting my promise since I plan on going nowhere. However, I need SOME time in my apartment to prepare for Martha's visit on Thursday and to get some schoolwork done. Besides, just the other night I saw Black Swan with my friend Aurore, and yesterday had  lunch with my friend Laeticia. So, it's not as if I've not gotten out this week at all.


~ Tam in Toulouse

No comments:

Post a Comment