Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Toulouse Blessing

I think she knew. I'm not sure how, but I think Toulouse (the city aka feminin) knew that Tuesday and today were going to be tiring, irritable, bad mood, bad news days. The expression "when God shuts a door he opens a window" quite literally applies to my life the last 48 hours. I've promised myself, despite my fierce desire to do so, that I shall not write about the academic disappointments and frustrations very recently. Instead I shall exalt the city of Toulouse for her kindness.

The last two days the weather has been ridiculous! Just this weekend we had a dusting of non-stick snow, yet the last two days a warm 60 degree temperature has prevailed. For someone whose mood is strongly tied to the weather (I hate the cold - it makes me irrationally angry), this change has kept me from tears that would have won out thanks to aforementioned annoyances. Along with the lovely warm air, the sun has been shining violently, beaming into the frigid classrooms, helping me stay awake during my courses. The academic door may have been slammed in my face but my apartment window has been thrown open to allow the nice breeze inside.

I've also been immensely thankful for the bakery on my street where I can spend 2 euros on the most mouth-watering 6 inches of bread baked with chocolate chips and a hint of orange and topped with huge sugar crystals. I adore the corner supermarket where the owner waves to me and calls me mademoiselle in a sing-song voice to which I cannot help but smile. Even the Pizza place on my street has contributed to keeping me emotionally afloat with their yummy fresh ingredients and generous portions ( the 25% student discount also helps). My 8 am journey to Latin class on Tuesday was blessed by a gorgeous pink sunrise worthy of a being turned into a postcard.

The city has been a reliable friend this week indeed! Here's to hoping for another beautiful sunrise tomorrow morning!

~Tam in Toulouse

2 comments:

  1. Tam, I am so glad that you are the kind of person that is able to find the happy, pretty things and make them the important ones in otherwise dreary/yucky/frustrating situations. I pray that the optimism will prevail - you know God loves you; you know I love you, and your mom and my mom and my dad, and Ross, and lots of other people! Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the statement by Charity. Love you Tamra.

    ReplyDelete