Thursday, December 9, 2010

Desespoir (part 2)

"So, what do you expect me to do for you?"

Rather than screaming "I'D LIKE SOMEONE TO HELP ME BY EXPLAINING HOW CLASSES WORK AT THIS INSTITUTION FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS, OR IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?!?!?!" .....yes, rather than that, I calmly asserted that perhaps I could be graded like the Erasmus students. Or perhaps I could chuck number grades in favor of a pass/fail system. I didn't know what I wanted because I didn't understand the system or my options....I just NEEDED to understand how I could keep from failing my courses. The entire time I explained this in gorgeous French, E just stared at me like I was an annoying, lost cause while fiddling with a candle on her desk.

"You can enroll in DELF courses. They are French courses that will help your written French." At her suggestion, I succeeded at not groaning aloud. Sure, why not enroll in more classes on top of my already full load? Besides, " this semester is basically over. I will still fail this semester...."
E glanced at the ceiling, thought a second, and said, "well you can always talk to your professors."
At this point in the conversation I considered how much trouble I would get it if I shouted my displeasure at the lack of 'international support' at Le Mirail.
"I have talked to my professors and voiced my fears. They know I'm American. They continue to tell me to do my best - WHICH I AM! However, that does not help us arrive at a way to GRADE MY WORK!" (The words in Caps Lock I did not yell or even forcefully emphasize- I simply yell here in the blog where I can finally release my frustration).
E wrote a name on a post-it, handed it over, emphasized 'batiment (building) 14' and directed me to the door.

What I had was a post-it with the DELF director's name on it and directions to the DELF office (which was closed, by the way). I will try again tomorrow morning ...

Now, perhaps this entire dilemma could be solved if I simply asked a French friend to correct my papers from now on before they are due -  except remembering the fact these students are busy too (though several have offered to 'help'). I feel that it is unfair to make then correct 10 pages line after line of awful french, and such a request is unreasonable during this time of final papers and presentations; it would be nearly impossible for me to try to work ahead so far in advance that they can correct said papers before they start working on their own. I might also mention that I certainly won't be able to turn to them for help during the WRITTEN FINAL EXAMS.
Is it more beneficial that the professors notice my level of written french now, so that the final exam reflects my level throughout the course? Or is it more beneficial to have flawlessly corrected papers now and then stumble through the final? How beneficial is my year here if I fail my courses? And what effect would that have on future French graduate school prospects?

Bah Humbug!
~Tam in Toulouse

No comments:

Post a Comment