Monday, December 6, 2010

The English Surprise/The French Conspiracy

As I was sitting in class today listening to my french 'comrades' stumble through an English passage, trying to pronounce words like 'this', ' that', and 'her', I began to believe that maybe my lack of friends here can be attributed to my nationality. I'm 'the American'. I speak English. Perhaps, just perhaps, the people in my classes weren't speaking to me or sitting by me out of timidity about their ability to converse with me. Their English needs work, as does my French, so maybe a shyness on both sides was the issue.

The following class period taught me two things: almost EVERYONE speaks English & my nationality has nothing to do with sub par friend making.

Last Wednesday, a girl who'd been sitting next to me for weeks suddenly revealed her English ability. We'd had conversations about educational systems, Christmas plans, career plans, and the 'grèves' all in French during various classes, but as we walked to the metro on Wednesday she suddenly switched from French to perfect English. I literally stopped in my tracks and berated her for hiding her English from me. She, in turn, said that I needed to stick to French since I'm here to learn the language after all.

Today, another classmate (also as we're walking to the metro) suddenly decided to reveal her English language knowledge. I assured her that I detested her (jokingly of course) for hiding her skill from me. After she revealed her capability, she switched back to French and said she'd prefer if I spoke it as well.

In both instances, with both girls, I've said things in English to them before and received curious looks and "je ne comprends pas". I  asked them if they spoke English and both said "no". So, my surprise was overwhelming when both spoke to me in my own language. I asked a couple people from class standing nearby if they knew English as well. "Of course" they said. Of course? Of course!

How come when I've posed questions in class that the professor/class could not understand no one mentioned asking the question in English? How come my classmates hid their ability from me like a 'make the American believe we can't understand her no matter what language she speaks' conspiracy? How come the two girls decided to reveal their knowledge just as I'm starting to speak a little better? If my classmates know English then surely my professors know English which begs the question, why don't they explain terms I've clearly never heard before IN ENGLISH?!

I suppose the English surprise was supposed to put me at ease, but it makes me angry. I'm here to learn French - duh- but I had a rough time my first two months here, and it could have been a lot easier had I just been able to substitute a French word here and there with an English one so that I could express myself or better understand my courses. It would have been nice if English hadn't been hidden from me for the last three months.

So, I take it back, when I was told in coming here that 'everyone would speak English' I was not lied to. It's simply that the French really do almost forcefully PREFER that I make myself speak their language. Another day, another something learned...

~Tam in Toulouse

2 comments:

  1. Ugh. That's really rude. I mean, sure you are there to learn the language, but letting you carry on for MONTHS, and then revealing that they actually know english, but aren't going to use it (except when they want) is. Really. Freaking. Rude.You should just converse with them in very fast english the next time they want to talk about 'greves'. Sorry, I just DO NOT like the French.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post made me think of the quote, "when in Rome do as the Romans." We have gone too far the other way here in the states. English is our language and should be learned and spoken.

    I do understand your frustration and wish you well in your continued learning of the French language.

    ReplyDelete