Sunday, November 14, 2010

Paris GRE weekend Sat afternoon/Sunday

After the GRE, a new friend (named Vallentine) and I hung out commiserating at a cafe for quite awhile. He'd never been to Paris before, and was leaving on a train that evening, so we decided to be touristy and hit the two things you simply CANNOT miss if you visit Paris, the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triomphe. It was gross in Paris; misty sideways rain and quickly coming dusk made sight seeing less fun than expected. Inside another cafe a few streets from the Eiffel tower we warmed up, chatted, and reveled in speaking English. A couple of his friends joined us and dragged us to yet a different cafe in the center of Paris where we all hung out laughing and talk about nothing and everything.

I don't miss speaking English because I can't speak French, because I can. I miss speaking English because slang phrases such as, 'gotcha' 'that's what she said' 'sucks' whatever' etc. don't translate, and the French don't get it when I say such things in English. I miss being able to speak and express myself without consciously trying. It's something that I did not encounter when I studied abroad in Aix because my roommate was American. After a day of French, I could come in and say, "Day sucked. Blarg." She'd know exactly what I meant and how I felt. So, did I cheat all day on Saturday and speak English, OF COURSE I DID and you would too I bet.

After seeing my new friends to their train, I made my way toward my hostel trying to decide whether it would be worth it to see Sacre Coeur at night. First I needed dinner. When I realized that I was starving I was already standing in front of Jules Joffrin, so I simply crossed the street and entered Le NordSud. The cafe looked slightly expensive, but I reasoned that I hadn't had a good meal in Paris. The food menu was small and the wine menu was long, which is usually the case with a really good French restaurant. I settled on pasta, water, and an apple tart dessert. Now, I know that sounds normal and bland. But the pasta was tossed with tomatoes, olives, feta, ground beef, and eggplant and the apple tart literally melted in my mouth. The meal was beautiful and I was sorry that I couldn't finish all of it; it tasted SO good!!! I wouldn't mind visiting again and trying something else from their menu. Everyone around me cleared their plates, so the other items must be as yummy. My waiters where attentive, and although I was alone, I didn't feel so alone sitting side by side with two full tables of middle aged people and positioned so I could watch people pass by the window.

 The hostel was only a few blocks away from Sacre Coeur, and by a few blocks I mean a few flights of stairs since Montmarte is a hill. Up the seemingly endless stairs I went...and I'm so glad that I decided to check it out. All lit up, Sacre Coeur was gorgeous against the black night sky. There was a mass going on inside which I sat through, all the while gazing up at the white robed, glittering, open armed Jesus set against the brilliant blue background of the dome. Sacre Coeur is now, hands down, my favorite church ever. I've visited multiple basilicas, churches, chapels, cathedrals (including Notre Dame), and only Sacre Coeur made me catch my breath and lower my eyes with humility. She's not gaudy or overdone, there aren't tons of alcoves with tombs or symbolic paintings. The interior is just arch after arch and dome after dome of gorgeous grey-white stone, two small areas of fragrant red and white candles, rows of wooden pews, and looking down on it all, a giant painted Jesus. I can't give her justice, but the next time I visit Paris I want to attend a service during daylight. *I'll mention that the view of Paris from the steps of Sacre Coeur is unforgettable - a must see for sure.

After my time at Sacre Coeur I slept long and hard. This morning, I woke up, caught breakfast in the cave once more, made it to my train just in time, and rode through the French country side back home to Toulouse. To be honest, I was quite sad to leave Paris.

~Tam in Toulouse

No comments:

Post a Comment