Monday, November 8, 2010

The French Romance

Today was the day. GRE general test day, and I was scheduled to take it at the science university here in Toulouse. Because I live in the city center, it was necessary to take a 40 minute metro ride to the testing location. This ride was followed by fumbling around some academic building on a strange campus until finally arriving at a door marked "Prometric". I expected a prison-like atmosphere with cranky administration and a long list of rules and regulations. What I got was the French manner of handling the GRE, aka the French romance.

For all the infuriating, frustrating things about France (the strikes, the lack of fun, family holidays, the language that I STILL cannot speak fluently) there are counterbalances. And all the counterbalances I can think of are uniquely French, and seduce the individual into loving France. Such seductive counterbalances are the wine (none of which I've had in Toulouse yet), the bread, the language (it sounds so pretty!), the kindness of the people.... and now I can add to that list, the GRE.

Stepping into the outer testing room, I was offered tea or café (coffee) or water. The kind lady told me to sit down and take as many minutes as I needed to compose myself (I'd been running, literally running, a bit late due to getting lost). The administrator helped me put my things in a locker while speaking 'Franglais' (a mix of French and English). She kindly asked for identification and made small talk with me about the weather. After reminding me of the rules, she showed me into the inner GRE sanctum. A room no bigger than a glorified broom closet, the testing room had about 7 enclosed desks and, surprisingly for France, it was nice and warm.
In America the procedure was awful. The administrators were cold and indifferent. The room was freezing! And they even PATTED ME DOWN police-style before I was allowed to take a test that I'd paid over $250 dollars to take! I might also add that I was bitten or stung by something and told the administrator during the break to find out that the testing side had no first aid kit! It seemed like I was inconveniencing the Americans by taking the GRE, while here in Toulouse the administrator seemed happy to be in her position.
I truly believe that this administrator made my GRE experience a positive one today. At least, my score seems to reflect the positive vibe (or it was the more than month of studying - take your pick). She smiled, she encouraged, she reassured.... in short she was both my mother and my friend today. Sometimes you just NEED someone, in your native tongue, to look into your eyes and say, "You'll do great!" Even if it's not true and you fail, it's nice to hear and helps you believe in yourself.

So, for all my whining recently about my university here and all my work and studying, I happily admit that GRE day was a good day here in France. It was a great experience because it was so French, because it wasn't apathetic and intimidating like the experience last November in America.

~Tam in Toulouse

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tam - did you take the GRE the first time at Sewanee? The lady at the testing place in Tupelo was really friendly and nice. I'm so glad that this time around it was so much better! Love you!

    ReplyDelete