Monday, October 11, 2010

PE - Barre a Terre (Floor Ballet)

What if I'm in class with super skinny, super flexible ballerinas? Goodness it's early...why did I decide that an 8 am ballet class on a MONDAY was a good idea? Oh yes, I remember, good way to start my week....right? What was I thinking?
How come I am always the only one in shorts? Don't the french believe in wearing shorts? I knew I should have brought my brown pajama pants instead! How come they have their hair in buns? I'm not doing a bun.
Everyone seems nice. At least there are only a dozen or so of us.The instructor seems very kind.
She skipped the introduction - straight to business then I guess. I like this PE lying on the ground idea - best sports idea I've had yet!
Plank?! Did she just demonstrate the plank as in facedown on my toes and elbows?! I thought this was ballet class? That's a sit up! She totally just did a very slow, very graceful sit up! While laying down kick my leg to my nose? Sit up, straddle my legs and, while keeping my back straight, lean forward till I am diagonal with the ground? Heel stretch? What in the world is this class? I'm not going to live through it!
Point and flex. Point and flex. Point harder. Flex better. Sit up. Lie down. Sit up! Lie down! On your right side. On your left side. On your tummy. Arabesque. Arabesque prettier. Attitude...more attitude. Développé. Bigger Développé. Plié, demi-plié, grand-plié!!! And now we start over.....

So, that's what 8 am floor ballet on a Monday is like. Can't wait till next week....thank God no more till next week. I think my legs are going to fall off while walking to my 10:30 am English class. I think I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment