Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Birthday Strike?

France is on strike? But am I on strike?

I don't know. I think I want to be. I think I want to be on strike from my reasonable self.

Everyday for three weeks I've juggled latin, ancient french, modern french, english according to the french, GRE vocabulary, GRE math, and GRE english subject test.....my brain is boggled (---GRE vocab word by the way) and my spirit is approaching 'fed up'.

Today it is my 23rd birthday. It doesn't feel like a birthday though. There will be no party, no little pile of presents, no cake or candles (oh how I long for 23 birthday candles to blow out), no birthday trip to Dublin, and I certainly don't feel 23. Nevertheless, lack of celebration or not, I am 23 today, and I think I want to be on strike.

Various birthday possibilities swirl in my head.....I'd like to eat sushi, I haven't seen a movie in France yet, I have a beautiful outfit I could put on 'just because', I don't own any lip gloss and I've been eyeing Sephora for weeks, eating dinner on a canal boat sounds appealing, maybe I could find a mani/pedi place that could fit me in, I haven't bought a blanket yet for my bed or a good book (in English) to curl up with.

The problem is that I'm one of those rare individuals that cannot 'not care'. I literally do not have the ability to mean what I say when I say 'screw homework'. Thus, even though it is my birthday, I foresee hours spent studying despite my unwillingness.

 I wish I could let myself be on a birthday strike.

2 comments:

  1. you should strike :) At least for a portion of the day. pick one top priority homework task, then strike the rest. Love you! Happy Birthday

    ReplyDelete
  2. TAMRA! Would you be able to say "screw homework" if someone else was telling you that you didn't get a choice, you had to do something non-school related for 2-3 hours? I hope you find a little bit of time for yourself. Love you!

    ReplyDelete