Sunday, May 22, 2011

Melanger prt 1

Here in France I've noticed differences in the culture here and the American way of life. I don't know that I've really blogged about some of the tiny things that you'd just have to live here a while to see first-hand... So now, I think I'll make a little list of various things to share with you.

Kitchens: every single French kitchen I've been in has been tiny by American standards. There is no room for more than one person to move about.

Food Labels: Not only do the labels here tell you the nutrition facts, but they also warn you not to snack between meals, they encourage you to eat a balanced diet with fruits and vegetables daily, AND they give you suggestions on what to eat with the item you are currently holding.

Bonjour: It is considered rude to not say "Bonjour" when you pass someone in the hall of the apartment building, when getting on a bus or entering a store, when it is your turn at the check out counter at the grocery store, to your waiter before you begin to rattle off your food/drink order, when your professor enters the classroom - I'm sure there are more instances that I am forgetting, but yes, "Bonjour" is a constantly uttered phrase here in France.

TV/video games/computers - the French haven't hit the technology obsessed stride that Americans have, and I'm so appreciative of that. Kids don't come in from school and plop down in front of the TV or the video gaming system or the computer. Some households I've visited don't have a TV. Other households don't have a personal computer. It's not a matter of money either, it's simply because the French are interested in people and doing things together and not staring at glowing boxes all hours of the day. When I tell Americans that I have no cell phone they tell me they couldn't live without theirs. When I say the same to a French person, the usual response is that it's a good thing.

Junk Food: I haven't been in a French house yet with junk food. Sure, there's a never ending supply of dark chocolate and nutella if you open the cupboard. Real junk food, like chips, soda, cookies, etc is avoided here in France.

Meal Duration: If invited to a nice dinner in America with friends, expect it to last maybe an hour. If invited to a dinner with friends or family in France, expect it to last between one to three hours depending on the occasion, the food, and the wine.

Window screens: It makes sense to me, with bugs in the summer, that it is normal to have window screens so that one can enjoy the breeze without the bugs. Yet, here in Toulouse, I've seen zero window screens. I talked to K. about this and she mentioned that one can buy window screens, but they don't come standard in homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment